Skip to main content

Happy Birthday Conner

Today would have been Conner's 33rd birthday.  I am not quite sure how I am supposed to be feeling.  I am experiencing an overwhelming sense of confusion.  I don't know how to handle such an event with my babies.  Do we celebrate his life?  Do we mourn with additional ceremony?  How are we supposed to feel?  Joy that he is in Heaven?  Sorrow that we have been left here without him? 

I am just being honest folks.  I am confused!

You see, I loved this man with more devotion than I could have ever imagined that I possessed.  I am a pretty guarded individual and when it came to Conner Wilson, I allowed no barriers to stand between us!  My love for him bordered on obsession and idolatry many times in our lives.  In the later part of our marriage I felt like I was finally getting it right with his proper God-given placement in my life.  I was finally putting God before Conner and the result was a beautiful marriage that worked the way that God had planned for it to.  I loved God with tenacity and loved my husband with the love I derived from my God.  It was supernatural and spectacular.  There are no adequate words to describe the beauty and healing that came from my marriage to this INCREDIBLE man.

Conner knew me better than anyone else has ever come close to knowing me.  He loved me in such an intense, drawing, gentle, and purposeful way.  I was his queen.  He loved me straight into the arms of Jesus.  I was keenly aware that Conner's love for me came directly from the One who loved me the most.  Conner's job was to act as a conduit of God's grace, mercy, love, forgiveness, kindness, patience, and faithfulness that The One wanted to deliver to me.  Through Conner's love for me, I began to understand God's love for this broken and insecure girl inside of me.

We, as believers, have that very same purpose for each of our lives!  We are to be conduits of God's gifts to others, especially our spouses, and families so that those that don't believe, or those believers that have some false views of God can experience "Jesus with skin on."  Oh, how thankful I am for my personal "Jesus with skin on" man! 

Our marriage was something I could have only dreamed of.  To actually experience that kind of love helped me to grasp more of Who my Savior is, and His intense love for me.  Isn't that what God's design was and is for marriage?  That we magnify Him, and His relationship to us?  That is why when a marriage actually does the thing it was intended to do, many (including those inside the marriage) stand in awe of the Designer and His Perfect Plan.

So today, on such a sorrowful occasion for me, personally, I choose to be grateful for the marriage that I was given.  I choose to be grateful for the man that Conner was in Christ.  I choose to remember that all I experienced through Conner was an outpouring of God's Love to me and that that Love did not stop when Conner stepped into eternity.  I choose to thank The Lord for the healing I experienced through Conner.  I choose to remember the love and be grateful that it was mine for a short time.  I choose to remember this man that radiated Christ to a sick and dying world.  I choose to live my life in the same manner.  I choose to permeate my children with their Daddy's love, integrity, devotion, kindness, faithfulness, bravery, vision, grace, patience, mercy, compassion, and strength.  I choose HIM and HIS Plan for my life.  I choose HIS Ways because I know that they are higher than my ways.  Today I want more of HIM because I know that all I adored in my beloved Conner was a shadow of HIM, the real thing that my heart is looking for.  My man was great, but he would tell you that his God was greater.

Lord Jesus, let us live with tenacity for the Kingdom which is coming swiftly.  Let us love others straight into Your Arms. 

Comments

Lil Abshier said…
Kristen, I celebrate with you the amazing man Connor was. And on this day I celebrate the incredible gift you and the children were to him!
I believe the Lord celebrates your faith, your courage and your transparency as you walk these difficult days. Your words and your experience is touching lives for HIM.
May the Lord bless and keep you.... As He draws you deeper and deeper into His heart. We love you and your beautiful family and continue to pray for you everyday.
Unknown said…
Thank you SO much Mrs. Lil! We love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Jump a little higher

  So, here she stands, at the edge of her fear.  She contemplates if she has what it takes to jump.  She carefully moves to the end to see how far down she is going to fall.  After a careful evaluation, she decides it best not to jump.  Through the course of the evening I watched her repeat this process, only to return to the dock, unsuccessful each time.  Then, the unthinkable happens right in front of my eyes.   She is pushed.  She had been working up the courage to jump, and instead of faith and patience, she received a careless shove.  She came up out of the water in tears, with fear in her eyes.  My heart broke for my precious P.  She is my child, and is inclined to the same fear struggles that her mama has walked with for 32 years.   I don't remember if her Daddy had a lot of words to say to her, but I do remember what happened next.  You see, his style was always example with few words.  He spoke volumes through a life well lived, without ever having to announc

The Power Within

As I sit in my bedroom floor, here at 9:30 PM, writing this blog post, I am so deeply saddened to be here alone.  I honestly do not have the words to describe my feelings for my husband and the hole that I now have in my soul because of his absence.  He was the greatest man that I have ever known.  He was used by God to usher me into a deep relationship with the Lord and I do not know how I can possibly spend the rest of my life without him.  With all that said, I know in the deepest part of my soul that God will carry me the rest of my days. I did not start out with great security in my spiritual life that I have today.  You see, I used to (and am sure I still do) have some really messed up views of God and who He is.  As I look back over the past 10 years of my life I can see God's Hand at work, many times through Conner, to right my wrong assumptions of who He was.  Hurt, fear and pain can work overtime to thwart our views of God.  If we are not careful to seek Truth when

Resolution: Marriage

I so wanted to write this post before today, but with New Year's resolutions, who cares when you actually start them!!!  I am honestly encouraging a life change, not just a New Year's resolution that will quickly be dropped and the old habit easily picked up again.  I am writing to all you married folks out there.  I am going to write a plea from someone who wishes she could make changes in her marriage today.  Yet, that opportunity was stolen from me this August and I wish, with all my being, that I had the chance to be a different wife to my precious Conner.  I wish that I had the opportunity, as you do, to make a conscientious decision to change my behavior towards, and my thought pattern about my dear husband!   It's like that song, "You don't know what you got 'til it's gone," but with greater pain than can be explained in words.  Words can't even come close to describing the pain of losing him! I would love for you to pause right here