Skip to main content

Mercy

What do you do when you don't want to join in on celebrating "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" because for you, you are walking through the most horrible loss in your life?


How are you supposed to stomach the Christmas cards that arrive in your mailbox everyday with smiling, kissing, happy, whole families pictured?  The ones with the husband embracing his wife?  The ones where his babies are perched happily on his lap?  The ones that constantly remind you of the chasm that has been gouged out of your soul-that hole that reminds you of how sick and sad and suffering this world truly is.




Where do you put those feelings that arise when you tell your daughter to go change into the clothes she wants to wear after school and she returns to you, wearing her "Watch Dog Dad" shirt.  That shirt that is such a prestigious mark for any kindergartner whose Daddy is serving in the school for the day.  That shirt that they both had and both wore, so they could be twinkies-set apart for a day.  The shirt that immediately sends your mind to that picture in the school hallway last year where he is squatting down, holding his daughters on his lap in sheer Daddy pride.

How do you survive the nights when your son cries out for his Daddy and all you can do is sink to the floor in desperation?  When the only reaction that you have is a deep echoing of his sorrow and pain?  When your tears cover his back as you weep over him, and with him with no adequate, healing words to offer his breaking heart?

What do you do when you don't want to go to the Christmas tree farm this year because you would rather chew glass than see another man cut down your Christmas tree for your kids?  When you could care less about decorating, Christmas parties, or buying gifts?  When you just don't feel like celebrating.


How do you keep going when you have been forced to celebrate so much in such a short period of time (both your sons birthdays, your birthday, his birthday, Thanksgiving, with your daughter's birthday in a week and a half, and Christmas immediately following that)?  How much celebrating can you be forced to do?  How do you endure such mixed emotions in a short period of time?

How do you overcome your disdain for men that you come in contact with because they live and act against you in stark contrast to the man that has taken care of you for the past ten years?  When their greed, insensitivity, and cowardly acts make your stomach churn.  When you long for the past when you walked daily with that man-the one that had integrity, sensitivity, love, generosity, bravery, kindness, and patience in supernatural abundance.  When you knew what a godly man truly was because you slept next to him each night.



My only plea is:

"MERCY Lord, MERCY

I need your compassion to relieve my suffering.  I pray for Your reprieve.  My friends are interceding, 'Mercy Lord, Mercy' for me. 

When I am overwhelmed and sinking, I stretch out my arms and cry, Mercy Lord!  Have mercy on Your daughter, oh Father.  Show Your Favor and Kindness to me.  I cannot survive the emotional massacre that is occurring within me.  I need Your Compassion's, because they fail not.  I need Your Hope.  I need Your Strength to carry this burden.  I am looking to You to save me. 

I am a weak and brittle twig, protect me from breaking.

You gently direct my attention to this:

 

Ah, and there is the perspective shifter.... 

This Mercy that I am seeking, has already been shown to me in an extravagant display of affection.

You are the One who has shown the greatest Mercy to me at the cross of Calvary-where Mercy paid for me.  Where the wrath I deserved, it is gone, it has past.  Your Blood has hidden me.

Mercy, Mercy, as endless as the sea.  You have taken all my shame and nailed it to Your Cross.  That shame that I carried around for years on end.  That shame that I hid from my husband because of the fears that the enemy haunted me with.  That shame, I confess, is gone.  You have removed my guilt and shame.  I can walk blameless into Your Presence because of the Blood that covers me, and continues to cover my sins.

So, boldly I am approaching Your Throne and asking that when the things of this world come to overwhelm me, that You would keep my eyes above the water.

You have given me the Hope of Heaven, and oh how I long to be there.  The place where my perspective will be forever changed-forever fixed on You.  The place where I can continually reside in Your Presence.   

I am wholly Yours Lord.  How can I not give you everything I have in light of Your Mercy?  How can I not endure this world, in Your Strength, because I know the Hope which awaits me?  Lord, teach me to endure my trials with patient perseverance, so that I won't come up lacking anything that you want me to be. 

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."  (James 1:2-4 NASB)
 So the difficult seasons, difficult mothering moments, the difficult people I encounter all pale in comparison to the Mercy You possess and lavish on Your children, and produce in Your children.  So, I will put my faith in You because You are Faithful.  You are Righteous-faithful to Your Promises.  You are the only One worthy of my praise!  I'll sing Your Hallelujah for all eternity.

"Brothers and sisters, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.
As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of COMPASSION and MERCY."  (James 5:10-11 NIV)
May I never lose the wonder, oh the wonder of Your Mercy.  May I sing Your Hallelujah, Hallelujah. 

Amen (so be it).

Comments

Unknown said…
Hallelujah Kristin Danae Wilson! I love you and I am praying for you and I am soooo thankful that you continue to choose to persevere! You are such an inspiration to me and I want you to know that I'm here for you til' the sun comes up! ⛅️ Thank you!!! ❤️
My soul weeps for you. Dear Heavenly Father....... Bring your loving arms ever so tightly to wash over my sister and her family! Hearts are burst into and they need your precious hope! Lord we know that you are right beside them! Make your presence know in a big way!
Amber Lawrence said…
I was blessed by this today. I lost my husband this past August. I can relate so much to your words and am grateful that you shared them. You and your sweet family will be in my prayers <3
Unknown said…
Perri, thank you for your constant encouragement! You bless my life with your prayers, love and encouragement! I love you dearly!
Kris
Unknown said…
Jess,
Thank you for your constant prayers! They are felt, needed and answered by HIM to whom we must give an account! I love you dearly!
Unknown said…
Amber Lawrence,
All I can say to you right now is that my heart breaks for you! I am so deeply sorry for your loss. The division of two souls that have become one in HIM is the most excruciating pain possible for the soul. I am leaning, with all my weight, on HIS Truth that HE comes to bind up the broken hearted. I am believing for myself and for dear sisters in Christ, who are forced to walk this same road, that HE has great "good" planned for our lives out of the sorrow of this sin-sick world. I know that the pain of this world helps us to loosen our grip on the silly things that will one day burn up. I know that I look Heavenward a lot more often than I ever have, and I pray with more fervency for the return of The King!
Lord God, I beg that you engulf Amber in your love. "May He grant you out of the rich treasury of His glory to be strengthened and reinforced with mighty power in the inner man by the [Holy] Spirit [Himself indwelling your innermost being and personality]. May Christ through your faith [actually] dwell (settle down, abide, make His permanent home) in your hearts! May you be rooted deep in love and founded securely on love, that you may have the power and be strong to apprehend and grasp with all the saints [God's devoted people, the experience of that love] what is the breadth and length and height and depth [of it]; [That you may really come] to know [practically, through experience for yourselves] the love of Christ, which far surpasses mere knowledge [without experience]; that you may be filled [through all your being] unto all the fullness of God [may have the richest measure of the divine Presence, and become a body wholly filled and flooded with God Himself]!"
"Now to Him Who, by (in consequence of) the [action of His] power that is at work within us, is able to [carry out His purpose and] do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams]-to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations forever and ever. Amen (so be it)."
Ephesians 3:16-21

Popular posts from this blog

Jump a little higher

  So, here she stands, at the edge of her fear.  She contemplates if she has what it takes to jump.  She carefully moves to the end to see how far down she is going to fall.  After a careful evaluation, she decides it best not to jump.  Through the course of the evening I watched her repeat this process, only to return to the dock, unsuccessful each time.  Then, the unthinkable happens right in front of my eyes.   She is pushed.  She had been working up the courage to jump, and instead of faith and patience, she received a careless shove.  She came up out of the water in tears, with fear in her eyes.  My heart broke for my precious P.  She is my child, and is inclined to the same fear struggles that her mama has walked with for 32 years.   I don't remember if her Daddy had a lot of words to say to her, but I do remember what happened next.  You see, his style was always example with few words.  He spoke volumes through a life well lived, without ever having to announc

The Power Within

As I sit in my bedroom floor, here at 9:30 PM, writing this blog post, I am so deeply saddened to be here alone.  I honestly do not have the words to describe my feelings for my husband and the hole that I now have in my soul because of his absence.  He was the greatest man that I have ever known.  He was used by God to usher me into a deep relationship with the Lord and I do not know how I can possibly spend the rest of my life without him.  With all that said, I know in the deepest part of my soul that God will carry me the rest of my days. I did not start out with great security in my spiritual life that I have today.  You see, I used to (and am sure I still do) have some really messed up views of God and who He is.  As I look back over the past 10 years of my life I can see God's Hand at work, many times through Conner, to right my wrong assumptions of who He was.  Hurt, fear and pain can work overtime to thwart our views of God.  If we are not careful to seek Truth when

Resolution: Marriage

I so wanted to write this post before today, but with New Year's resolutions, who cares when you actually start them!!!  I am honestly encouraging a life change, not just a New Year's resolution that will quickly be dropped and the old habit easily picked up again.  I am writing to all you married folks out there.  I am going to write a plea from someone who wishes she could make changes in her marriage today.  Yet, that opportunity was stolen from me this August and I wish, with all my being, that I had the chance to be a different wife to my precious Conner.  I wish that I had the opportunity, as you do, to make a conscientious decision to change my behavior towards, and my thought pattern about my dear husband!   It's like that song, "You don't know what you got 'til it's gone," but with greater pain than can be explained in words.  Words can't even come close to describing the pain of losing him! I would love for you to pause right here