Skip to main content

Death, where is your sting?



Grief is traveling through a series of horrid emotions, brought about by situations, places, and people that were once shared with the Loved.   When tragedy strikes it's damaging blow, what follows is circumstance after seemingly never-ending circumstance that the Bereaved must trudge through, with the utterly devastating reality of the absence of the Loved.

July 23rd was one of those nights for this Bereaved.  I attended a concert with my friends, yet not one of them knew that the last time I entered this particular arena was with the Loved.  My friends and I had come to worship the Lord.  The Loved and I had come to worship the Lord only 2.5 years earlier.

Two and a half years ago I was filled with unquenchable happiness because the Loved and I were blissfully content.  On July 23rd, I was not filled with happiness.

As the songs played one after the other, I reminisced, in my own mind, how several of them had been given to me to comfort me (2 Corinthians 1:3-4) in my 2 years of mourning.  Songs like Lauren Daigle's @lauren_daigle , Trust in You.

I have wondered many times in the past two years, what is there if there is not happiness?

The musicians begin to sing, "Death, where is your sting?
Your power is as dead as my sin."

And I think, "Death, where is your sting?"  It's such a confounding question.  One that on the surface could be scoffed at and simply dismissed as rubbish.

The Bereaved carries the suffocating weight of death's tolls.  The Bereaved knows the stench of death's breath, as it has haunts day and night.  The Bereaved knows death more intimately than one would ever have wished.  The sting of death breaks the heart of the Bereaved and leaves it unhealed and longing for "just one more conversation" with the Loved, or "just one more touch" from the Loved.

On the surface this Bereaved would say that death unequivocally has a sting.  But then I begin to dig deeper into this Truth out of the pages of God's very Own Word.

"'O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?'  The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin [by which it brings death] is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory [as conquerors] through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:55-57 AMP

If isolated, these verses can argue the presence of a sting in and through death to those that have lived in the aftermath of death's storm.  The Bereaved is tempted to call bluff on the implied Truth that death has no sting. But, if we back up to the context of this resolution in Scripture, clarity is served.  Rewind with me to verse 50.

"Now I say this, believers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit nor be part of the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable (mortal) inherit the imperishable (immortal). Listen very carefully, I tell you a mystery [a secret truth decreed by God and previously hidden, but now revealed]; we will not all sleep [in death], but we will all be [completely] changed [wondrously transformed], in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at [the sound of] the last trumpet call. For a trumpet will sound, and the dead [who believed in Christ] will be raised imperishable, and we will be [completely] changed [wondrously transformed]. For this perishable [part of us] must put on the imperishable [nature], and this mortal [part of us that is capable of dying] must put on immortality [which is freedom from death].  And when this perishable puts on the imperishable, and this mortal puts on immortality, then the Scripture will be fulfilled that says, 'Death is swallowed up in victory (vanquished forever).'" 1 Corinthians 15:50-54 AMP

Upon digging deeper, I am filled with something greater than happiness.  I am filled with the joy that comes from hope in Jesus Christ.  Joy supersedes happiness because you can have joy in the midst of trials and temptations.   Happiness is a fleeting and fickle thing.  Joy is not.

So, I can retain my joy in the hope of Christ and HIS Magnificent victory over eternal death no matter my circumstances.

As I write these very words, tears are streaming down my cheeks.  I am tired as a mama.  My heart aches for the Loved.

Wives celebrating their husbands as Daddies, breaks my heart for my own children who no longer have their precious Daddies' influence.  Couples celebrating anniversary after anniversary, only serves to remind me that I am hopeless on that account.

Yet God's Word brings the Truth of the ultimate powerlessness of death in the life of the saved.  The Truth that though it may hurt now, ultimately death has no sting eternally for the Believer.  If I would but look up once more, if I would but allow HIM to gently lift my weary head, I can retain a joy that can never be taken away because it is rooted in eternal Truths that supersede temporary pain.

The Truth is that I will see my Loved again.  The Truth is that I will spend eternity with him and so many other Saints that I have loved.  The Truth is that this horrific pain that seems intolerable will only last a short while.  The Truth is that this life is but a vapor and I will be done.  The Truth is that I can maintain a life of joy because I am found in the One who conquered death itself.  The Truth that death itself is swallowed up in the victory of Redemption done on an old rugged cross.  The Truth that the Bereaved and the Loved have been bought back from the domain of darkness.

And with this new perspective I say, "Death, where is your sting?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jump a little higher

  So, here she stands, at the edge of her fear.  She contemplates if she has what it takes to jump.  She carefully moves to the end to see how far down she is going to fall.  After a careful evaluation, she decides it best not to jump.  Through the course of the evening I watched her repeat this process, only to return to the dock, unsuccessful each time.  Then, the unthinkable happens right in front of my eyes.   She is pushed.  She had been working up the courage to jump, and instead of faith and patience, she received a careless shove.  She came up out of the water in tears, with fear in her eyes.  My heart broke for my precious P.  She is my child, and is inclined to the same fear struggles that her mama has walked with for 32 years.   I don't remember if her Daddy had a lot of words to say to her, but I do remember what happened next.  You see, his style was always example with few words.  He spoke volumes through a life well lived, without ever having to announc

The Power Within

As I sit in my bedroom floor, here at 9:30 PM, writing this blog post, I am so deeply saddened to be here alone.  I honestly do not have the words to describe my feelings for my husband and the hole that I now have in my soul because of his absence.  He was the greatest man that I have ever known.  He was used by God to usher me into a deep relationship with the Lord and I do not know how I can possibly spend the rest of my life without him.  With all that said, I know in the deepest part of my soul that God will carry me the rest of my days. I did not start out with great security in my spiritual life that I have today.  You see, I used to (and am sure I still do) have some really messed up views of God and who He is.  As I look back over the past 10 years of my life I can see God's Hand at work, many times through Conner, to right my wrong assumptions of who He was.  Hurt, fear and pain can work overtime to thwart our views of God.  If we are not careful to seek Truth when

Resolution: Marriage

I so wanted to write this post before today, but with New Year's resolutions, who cares when you actually start them!!!  I am honestly encouraging a life change, not just a New Year's resolution that will quickly be dropped and the old habit easily picked up again.  I am writing to all you married folks out there.  I am going to write a plea from someone who wishes she could make changes in her marriage today.  Yet, that opportunity was stolen from me this August and I wish, with all my being, that I had the chance to be a different wife to my precious Conner.  I wish that I had the opportunity, as you do, to make a conscientious decision to change my behavior towards, and my thought pattern about my dear husband!   It's like that song, "You don't know what you got 'til it's gone," but with greater pain than can be explained in words.  Words can't even come close to describing the pain of losing him! I would love for you to pause right here